Latest movies viewed and enjoyed:
- Pan’s Labyrinth – I loved it. It took a little while for the movie to suck me in, but it did, and the last fifteen minutes were incredible. Possibly the most brutal movie I have ever seen though, so take care if you have a low tolerance for closeup bloodshed. I admit to looking away from the screen more than once. Another caveat is that I liked it best out of the foursome that attended.
- The Fountain – not for everyone, but the visuals and music are absolutely stunning (if you are looking for a fantastic melancholic soundtrack, buy the CD!!). Hugh Jackman does a great job too.
- Casino Royale – LOVE the new Bond, Daniel Craig, and the direction in which they may be taking the franchise.
- The Departed – great movie, had my blood pumping. Was rooting my little heart out for one of the characters, though I’ll keep spoiler free and not say which.
- Little Miss Sunshine. LOVED it. I laughed, I cried, I laughed until I cried.
General movie loving and lists
I love movies. Especially screwball comedies and movies with fantasy elements. And I do love a good romance, although I’m rather peculiar in that I like to read romance, but not necessarily watch it unless it strikes one of my chords. The ten below all strike one for me, even if some of the romances are only subplots. There are others too, I’ll have to update sometime soon as the first two lists are a couple years old.
Ten modern romance movies (or movies with romance) I love:
- Romancing the Stone
- The Thomas Crown Affair
- American President
- Princess Bride
- Top Gun
- The Mummy
- Beauty & The Beast
- Empire Strikes Back
- Last of the Mohicans
Ten+ laugh out loud (and in some cases cheesy) 80′s-ish movies:
- Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail
- Robin Hood: Men in Tights
- Naked Gun
- Top Secret!
- Real Genius
- Coming to America
- Strange Brew
- Austin Powers (all of them — yeah, I know they are 90′s movies…hence the “ish” disclaimer above )
- Notable 70′s style funnies: Caddyshack, Meatballs, Animal House
Fantasy, Sci-fi or some odd combo:
- Fifth Element
- Lord of the Rings trilogy
- Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi
- Baron Munchausen
- Blade Runner
- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
- Iron Monkey
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Batman Begins (er, not really meant for this list, but we can pretend for now)
- King Kong
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Little Miss Sunshine
- The 40-year old Virgin
I need to do a full comedy list! So many good ones left off of the above. Will put on my to do list for the new year.